Gouqi Berry Plant
Gouqi berry (Lycium barbarum), also known as Chinese wolfberry, is renowned in Asia as one of nature's most nutrient-rich foods. The berry has been used in traditional Chinese medicine for over 1700 years.
The Gouqi berry is a woody perennial plant, which grows 1-1.5 metres high and takes 4 to 5 years to mature. It likes sunlight and can tolerate temperatures of up to 39 degrees C. The leaves are about 5 cm long and are narrow, spearhead-shaped and dark-green, while the flowers are blue or pale purple. The plant produces a bright orange-red, oblong berries that, when fresh, are very juicy and have a sweet taste. The berries ripen from June to October. The exceptionally mineral-rich soil of the Ningxia province in the northeast of China provides the ideal conditions for Gouqi berry cultivation.
Importing the authentic Gouqi berries directly from Ningxia, Chinaherb is the best source for the public to obtain the most nutritious of all the 40 plus subspecies of the Asian Gouqi berry. Dried naturally in the sun, the berries imported by us are officially certified to be free of chemicals and contaminants. Known for their superior qualities, Gouqi berries provide a great way for you to get the bulk of your daily nutritional requirements from one single source.
The Health Benefits of Gouqi Berries
Gouqi berries have more antioxidants than any other food. Antioxidants slow down the ageing process and help to neutralize the free radicals in your body that cause cancer and damage the DNA.
Immune System Enhancer:
As your body ages, your immune system becomes weaker, and you run the risk of developing autoimmune problems. The immune system enhancer polysaccharide, which occurs naturally in Gouqi berries, stimulates the interleukin-2 and gamma interferon cells within your body to fight age-related problems, and to reduce your chances of acquiring autoimmune problems.
Gouqi berries are traditionally known to
- Improve eyesight
- Restore hair colour
- Boost libido
- Improve sleeping patterns and enhance energy levels
- Support liver functions by counteracting carbon tetrachloride
- Relieve menopausal symptoms
- Improve the chances of falling pregnant
- Increase calcium absorption
- Support mental alertness
Nutritional information on Gouqi berries
- Gouqi berries contain 19 protein-building amino acids, which is 6 times more than is found in bee pollen.
- Gouqi berries contain 21 trace minerals, including selenium and germanium, which are known to have cancer-fighting properties.
- Gouqi berries contain 6 essential fatty acids needed by your body, as well as vitamins B1, B2, B6, C, and E, far more than you will find in other food.
- Gouqi berries contain more carotene than carrots, and provide far more antioxidant power than you will find in any other food.
- Gouqi berries provide 500 times more vitamin C than oranges.
- Gouqi berries contain 4 exclusive polysaccharides that are not found in any other food. These polysaccharides act as Master molecules.
- The linoleic acid found in Gouqi berries promotes reduction of body fat, and has been found to be 15 times more nutritional than spinach, and tastes better too.
Energy Level Booster
People who add Gouqi berries to their daily diet find that their cravings for coffee and sweets diminish, and that they achieve better weight loss. Many athletes report that the regular consumption of Gouqi berries makes their workouts less strenuous and shortens their recovery periods. An improvement in mental clarity and alertness, without the side effects of caffeine consumption (e.g. Nervousness, irritability, anxiety, insomnia) has also been reported.
Gouqi Berries "snack grade" - the premium grade that you can eat straight from the bag and enjoy fully. Just snack whenever you feel like it. Chew the berries well. Eat one or two handfuls (approximately 30 to 60 g) each day, or add
them to your cereals, salads, grains, vegetables, yogurt, soups, or use in baking, e.g. Cookies and muffins. You can also make delicious hot or cold beverages with Gouqi berries, either on their own, or with other herbs or teas.